This full-time position is responsible for enforcement of federal, state and local laws and the protection of life and property. Successful candidates must be able to complete basic peace officer certification school. Additional pay incentives are available to candidates who are already POST Certified and POST Certified candidates with at least one year experience. Educational incentives are available to candidates with at least 30 semester college credit hours, an Associates or Bachelor’s degree. Additional incentive for being bilingual (Spanish or Sign Language Only). The City of Rome is an Equal Opportunity Employer, in accordance with applicable Federal and State legislation, does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status or citizen status.
- Must be at least 21 years of age prior to graduating from Mandate School.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
- Not be color blind and have vision correctable to 20/20 pursuant to visual acuity standards.
- Not have an amputation of any limb or part thereof.
- Not have used marijuana or misused prescription drugs in the last three years or used any illegal drug other than marijuana in the last seven years.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony, or sufficient misdemeanors as to constitute a disregard for the law or have a domestic violence violation charge.
- Must not have been dishonorably discharged from any branch of military service.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License, and not have been convicted of a DUI in the last three (3) years and no more than 15 points against driver’s license.
- Successfully pass the Compass Exam with the ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Georgia Police Officer Standard and Training Council.
- Attend a Mandatory Police Department Orientation; successfully pass the New Hire Physical Agility Test.
- Successfully pass a drug/alcohol screen and employment physical and have an acceptable psychological evaluation; an extensive background check, polygraph, and criminal investigation.
- Must obtain National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) 100 and 700 within three (3) months of employment.
Re-application: Applicants who are disqualified during the hiring process will be notified whether they are eligible to reapply in the future. If no disqualifications are identified, most applicants will be immediately eligible for future openings or hiring processes. A new application may be required to be submitted during the stated dates.