History of the ECO Center
The Rome-Floyd ECO Center was originally opened in 1893 as a freshwater pumping station for the City of Rome. The original brick structure in Ridge Ferry Park transported water from the Oostanaula River to the filtration complex atop Jackson Hill. The original pumping equipment is still visible from inside the ECO Center which was renovated as part of the 2006 SPLOST package. The renovation of the ECO Center was done in accordance with LEED standards that evaluated the environmental performance of the building and encouraged sustainable design. This project earned points based on environmentally friendly actions taken during construction, and aspects planned for building use. The ECO Center received LEED Gold status and opened its doors to the public in 2011.
Since then, the ECO Center has grown from serving only 600 students in the first year to serving over 10,000 in 2017 alone. We provide programs to students Pre-K all the way up to college level, and we also do adult "Lunch and Learns." We strive to be an asset to our community through family events, local speakers, and evening programs.