To proudly protect lives, our environment and property by providing prompt, skillful, cost-effective fire protection and life safety services to our citizens.
Recorded history established an all volunteer fire department in 1850. The "Oostanaula Fire Company, Number One, of the City of Rome" was formally incorporated by the General Assembly of the State of Georgia during the biennial session 1851-52. On July 1, 1908, it became a fully paid department boasting an original establishment of 3 hose companies, 1 ladder company, 14 on duty personnel and 9 relief and on call personnel. By 1914, Rome became only the second city in Georgia to have a completely motorized fire department. The department began in the 1980's to standardize its fleet of vehicles with modern diesel pumpers.
The fire department responds to over 6000 emergencies annually. These emergencies include fires, emergency medical service calls including first responder and non-transport rescues, motor vehicle accidents, hazardous materials spills, watercraft and public assist calls.
The department is responsible for fire suppression, fire prevention, fire investigation, emergency medical training, CERT team training, fire hydrant service and maintenance, building familiarization and inspections, fire apparatus maintenance, community disaster contingency planning and fire emergency management.
The fire department consists of 163 full time employees, including Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, 2 Division Chiefs, 6 Battalion Chiefs, 30 Captains, 108 Firefighters, Fire Marshal, 4 Inspector\Investigators, Chief of Training, Training Officer, 2 Fire Educators, Master Mechanic, 2 Assistant Mechanics, 1 Office Manager, 1 Executive Assistant, and 1 Business Manager/Systems & Application Analyst. The department operates under 6 Battalions, working 24 on and 48 off duty hours.
Fire Chief, Troy Brock
Deputy Chief, Curt Pierson
Division Chief, Dean Oswalt
Division Chief, Brad Roberson
Fire Marshal, Mary Catherine Chewning
Education Department, Linda Patty and Don Bullard
Email: LPatty@romega.us and DBullard@romega.us
Business Manager/Systems & Application Analyst, Jason Martin
This web page is dedicated to all the brave men and women of the fire service that have given the ultimate sacrifice in protecting and serving their fellow citizens.
Firefighters Memorial Plaza
The Rome/Floyd County Firefighters Memorial was erected to honor all firefighters. Anyone who has a fire service background is eligible to purchase a brick for themselves, their department or for a loved one. Currently, we have approximately 100 bricks from jurisdictions other than Rome.
The archway was added to the original design of the plaza. The archway once stood proudly at the Mountain City Company #2 fire house. This volunteer department was founded in 1869, and was a prelude to the current Rome/Floyd County Fire Department. The stones atop the archway were recovered from the Oostanaula River in 2004 where they had been entombed in the mud beneath the river for numerous years. Once again, they stand with pride. The repurposing of these keystones assures that the memories of countless firefighters who served our city in the past will forever stand watch. They also serve as a reminder that “challenge is constant and courage is eternal”.
The Bronze Firefighter Statue:
The original design included for a four sided brick sculpture to be the “centerpiece of the plaza”. The memorial committee decided to pursue a bronze statue which came with a more substantial cost. However, once the statue was sculpted and erected, that decision was deemed well worth the extra effort and cost. The face of the firefighter is a depiction of a seasoned veteran attired in all modern gear.
The floor of the plaza is an assortment of brick pavers and presently approximately 600 engraved pavers. These pavers are much more than a collection names on a brick. If each paver could talk, oh what some stories they would tell! They also represent thousands of years of fire service experience.
If you would like to purchase a brick, please click on the link below and fill out the form:
Be sure to check out our YouTube Introduction Video at:
Demographics and Statistics
- Emergency 911 communications system provided by Floyd County Government
- ISO classifications: City: Class 02, County: Class 2X
- 514 sq. miles of coverage: City: 30 sq. miles, County: 484 sq. miles
- Population 95,322 (based on 2006 Census Bureau report)
- Department type: full time career status
- City and county water distribution system, supplying over 3200 fire hydrants
- Mutual aid provided to neighboring communities
- 7000 annual alarms (averaged)
- Registered with Dun & Bradstreet (Duns) numbering system
- Data entry to National Fire Incident Reporting System
Equipment, Apparatus, & Stations
- All first line fire apparatus are equipped with 1500 gpm pumps and 500/750 gallon on-board water supply
- Ten fire stations strategically placed within the city and county
- Newly designed fire stations (separating living quarters from apparatus exhaust)
- Housing ten engine companies, including two (70 Ft.) quints, one (110ft.) aerial platform ladder company, one (100 ft. reserve) aerial ladder, two rescue units, three rescue boats, three reserve engines and six Battalion Chief squad cars, one Haz-Mat unit and one Haz-Mat decontamination unit and various support vehicles.