Steven R. Burkhalter
Mary L Brown
Marriage & Firearms Clerk
Probate Court exercises jurisdiction in the Probate of Wills, the Administration of Estates, the Appointment of Guardians and/or Conservators for Incapacitated Adults, and Temporary Guardianships of Minors. This Office also issues Marriage Licenses and Concealed Weapons Carry Permits. Most Traffic Citations issued outside the city limits are handled by Probate Court as well.
Traffic Court for Floyd County Probate Jurisdiction is held on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 9:00am. Your Court date is listed on your Citation. If you must appear in Probate Court for the charge on your Citation, please arrive before 9:00am, dress appropriately and check in at the front counter. There is limited seating available, please keep this in mind when making arrangements for child care.
If you are paying a Citation fine and do not have to appear on the violation, you may pay online at www.EZCourtPay.com or call 1-800-262-0128. You will need your Citation number, date of birth, and the jurisdiction is Floyd County Probate.
Probate Court employees are not able to give legal advice of any kind.
DO NOT BRING WEAPONS INTO THE COURTHOUSE, AND NO CELL PHONE OR CAMERA USEAGE IN PROBATE COURT.
Requirements for Marriage License are as follows:
- Valid ID - The Identification you bring MUST be current. Such as a Georgia Driver's License, Georgia State ID, or Birth Certificate with Passport). Must contain full name and date of birth.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Final Divorce Decree - You MUST bring a copy of your most recent Divorce Decree, regardless of how much time has passed since your Divorce was final. (The copy must have judge's signature and date he signed dissolving the last marriage) OR If your Previous Spouse is deceased, you MUST bring a copy of the Death Certificate.
- Cost of license is $66.00 without counseling or $26 with Certification of Premarital Counseling.
- Licenses are issued Monday through Friday from 8:15am until 4:30pm. You must be present before 4:15pm to complete paper work.
A marriage license does not have an expiration date and blood tests are no longer required in the State of Georgia.
You will be asked to come back and pick up your marriage certificate.
Weddings are no longer being performed at the Floyd County Courthouse
Concealed Weapons Carry Permit
To apply for a Concealed Weapons Carry Permit, also known as a GEORGIA WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE:
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2016
THE APPLICATION FEE FOR A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT IS $70.75.
ALL non-citizens must provide their VALID permanent resident/green card at the time of application
DUE TO EXCESS VOLUME IN PERMIT APPLICATIONS, WE CANNOT ESTIMATE A DATE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT.
WE ARE PROCESSING THE APPLICATIONS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, AND WE
TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE! Bring in your current Floyd County Driver’s License or State issued ID. (The Driver's License or State issued ID must have your correct physical Floyd County address, if you have a P O Box, please bring a current utility bill or tax statement showing your physical address).
- Applications will be processed between 8:15am and 4:30pm, Monday thru Friday. You must be present before 4:15pm to complete paper work.
- You must be 21 years of age or older to apply.
- You must have $70.75 in Cash or your Debit or Credit card to complete your application. This fee is for your background check and the cost of the license.
- If you use a Debit or Credit card, there is a Processing fee to use the card. (This fee is deducted by the company who processes Debit and Credit cards for our Court, and not by Floyd County.) This fee is currently $3.00 for the Concealed Weapons Carry Permit.
- Checks are not accepted for a Concealed Weapons Carry Permit Application.
- We do process your fingerprints here in our office now. You do not have to go to the jail to complete this process.
- The Concealed Carry permit is valid for 5 years.
- If you currently have a Concealed Carry permit you can renew the permit if you are within 90 days prior to the expiration date OR up to 30 days after the expiration date. The renewal fee is $30.00.
Again, you must be a resident of Floyd County, 21 years old or older, and we cannot accept checks as payment for Concealed Carry permit applications.
As of January of 2012, the Concealed Carry Permit has been redesigned. The new design on the Georgia Weapons Carry License includes your photograph and other security features. We now submit the approved applications to a printer, and they return the finished Permit to us. At that time, we mail your license to you.