To proudly protect lives, our environment and property by providing prompt, skillful, cost-effective fire protection and life safety services to our citizens.
Recorded history established an all volunteer fire department in 1850. The "Oostanaula Fire Company, Number One, of the City of Rome" was formally incorporated by the General Assembly of the State of Georgia during the Biennial session 1851-52. On July 1, 1908, it became a fully paid department boasting an original establishment of 3 hose companies, 1 ladder company, 14 on duty personnel, and 9 relief and on call personnel. By 1914, Rome became only the second City in Georgia to have a completely motorized Fire Department. The department began, in the 1980's to standardize its fleet of vehicles with modern diesel pumpers.
The fire department responds to over 4400 emergencies annually. These emergencies include fires,emergency medical service calls (First Responder, non-transport) rescues, motor vehicle accidents, hazardous materials spills, watercraft and public assists calls.
The department is responsible for fire suppression, fire prevention, fire investigation, emergency medical training, CERT team training, fire hydrant service and maintenance, building familiarization and inspections, fire apparatus maintenance, community disaster contingency planning and fire emergency management.
The Fire Department consists of 149 full time employees, including Fire Chief, Deputy Chiefs, 3 Battalion Chiefs, 2 Secretaries, Fire Marshal and Staff, Chief of Training and 1 Master Mechanic and assistant mechanic. The department operates under 3 Battalions, working 24 on/48 off duty hours.
Gordon Henderson, Chief
Curt Pierson, Chief of Training