APRIL IS CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION MONTH
Victim Witness is a member of the Child Abuse Prevention Partnership (CAPP) and meets on a monthly basis to discuss ways of educating the community on the different ways to prevent child abuse. The Committee puts up Pinwheels each year during the month of April, has Proclamations at the City and County Commission Meetings, has an annual Night at the Ballpark with the Rome Braves and has public service announcements on the radio.
Thanks to Lamar Advertising, the CAPP has had billboards donated for the Child Abuse Prevention month which have been placed around town.
For the last several years, the CAPP has participated in the Christmas Parade down Broad Street - either in designing a float or providing hot chocolate.
2014 Activities for CAPP are:
- City Proclamation on March 10, 2014 and County Proclamation on March 11, 2014
- Donated electronic billboard by Lamar Advertising
- Pinwheels for Prevention - April 1, 2014; Walk for Our Children at 11 a.m., meet at the Town Green then walk to the pinwheels at the Dempsey Lord Smith Building on corner of Broad Street and Turner McCall
- Canvas paintings with local schools
- School announcements about safety during the school day
- Public Service Announcements on the radio
- Blue Mondays - wear blue on the Mondays in April to support the prevention of child abuse
- March 31, 2014 - kickoff for Child Abuse Prevention Month at Chick-Fil-A with Heroes - a portion of the meal will be donated to Heroes which is a support group for children/teens who have been abused
CAPP is partnering with the Exchange Club of Rome in introducing a nationwide effort to increase awareness about the Prevention of Child Abuse, by inviting the public to join its “Blue Mondays”initiative and wear blue every Monday in April in observance of this critical issue.