APRIL IS CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION MONTH
Victim Witness is a member of the Child Abuse Prevention Partnership (CAPP) and meets on a monthly basis to discuss ways of educating the community on the different ways to prevent child abuse. The Committee puts up Pinwheels each year during the month of April, has Proclamations at the City and County Commission Meetings, has an annual Night at the Ballpark with the Rome Braves and has public service announcements on the radio.
Thanks to Lamar Advertising, the CAPP has had billboards donated for the Child Abuse Prevention month which have been placed around town.
For the last several years, the CAPP has participated in the Christmas Parade down Broad Street - either in designing a float or providing hot chocolate.
2013 Activities for CAPP are:
- City Proclamation on March 11, 2013 and County Proclamation on March 12, 2013
- Donated electronic billboard by Lamar Advertising
- Pinwheels for Prevention - April 1, 2013 at 11 a.m. at the Dempsey Building on corner of Broad Street and Turner McCall
- Student writing contest with local schools
- Public Service Announcements
CAPP is partnering with the Exchange Club of Rome in introducing a nationwide effort to increase awareness about the Prevention of Child Abuse, by inviting the public to join its “Blue Mondays”initiative and wear blue every Monday in April in observance of this critical issue.